Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heron block progress


To contend with election night jitters, I found myself carving with fury. There are parts of this block that have intimidated me but I took a breath and just accepted the time it will take to address the minutia that this piece requires. Every piece, actually. Birds are of course great symbols of freedom, so working on this last night was somewhat therapeutic for me. And while I was afraid to hope my candidate would actually win this race, (he did) because for the past 8 years my candidate did not win, I also felt keenly a personal fight for freedom that I have been involved in on behalf of my oldest son. Sometimes bureaucracy can hurt children in the name of helping them, and I've been torn up about the situation. Carving can be very cathartic.

There is only one other block besides this one, so I should be moving relatively soon toward printing, something I have not done in about a year.

1 comment:

Liz said...

wow, this will no doubt be a gorgeous print... you did such an amazing job carving all the grass, not sure I would have the same patience... beautiful!