Wednesday, December 31, 2008

In which I find something to do in 2009 and wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Resolutions are one of my favorite annual traditions. Amidst an existential crisis, what better thing to take on than creating a list of things to do other than to farm and sleep? Everything beyond that is gravy, and since we live in a society where we are not all farmers, I must find something else to do. So. I may take on a vegetable garden this year. It will have to be in the front yard, mainly to avoid heavy Saint Bernard feet and certain habits of any one of my individual roaming large pet birds in my yard. My neighbors may not appreciate a big square plot of garden in my front yard, so I may instead get creative about changing the planted area of our front yard to include vegetables. I wish myself luck with that.

Next: knitting. I have a few items on my to do list there, including a pair of socks for my niece that involve the knitting of bobbles of different colors. Should be a challenge. I also want to re-knit a vest for myself (I'm always cold), finish two different socks I started in 2008 for Dave, and maybe a scarf or two. I'm a sucker for color, so I'm looking forward to knitting something with Noro yarns.

Woodblock printing: bravely accept the nonsensical aspect of it and make some prints despite the fact that woodblock printing is not practical, that although it is not practical it is still a tradition that can evoke something within a person making it worthy of something, something refreshingly not digital but with a very present human behind the baren, unlike some forms of printmaking and/or creative expression. Hmm. So the plan is to at least a) print the heron blocks I carved about two months ago and b) begin some prints that are simply not profound conceptually in any way. Friendly prints. Yes, that will be my series for 2009 - the Friendly prints.

Finally, I will try to accept the challenge of creating something for Saint Bernard Rescue Foundation. They need a piece of work for greeting cards. May fall under the newly formed Friendly Prints category

Those are my personal resolutions. I have parental resolutions and housekeeping resolutions as well, but those I am going to refrain from listing here.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

LynneW said...

Happy New Year and "heart hugs" to you Beth. I've been lurking in the background reading your blog postings. Your authentic writer's voice is wonderful.

I saw the cloths you knit as Christmas gifts. The yarn is so soft and lusterous and the knitting patterns were perfect for the items. Any chance you would share the pattern and yarn information with me?

Blessings to you,
LynneW

BZ said...

Hi Lynne! Thank you for the kind comments! How nice to know you've been reading my blog!

I would be more than happy to share the pattern and yarn, just tell me which cloths you are speaking of and I will try. Some I just made up the pattern and didn't write down, but if I know which ones you mean I'll do my best to reconstruct something. I have several cloths photographed and logged on my Flickr account which you may have seen (I've got a link in the right column of the blog here). The yarn is Ella Rae Baby Cotton with possibly one exception - a pink organic cotton yarn from Knit/Purl.

Blessings to you too!